Saturday, January 12, 2008

Letter to cousin

Dear KC,

Hey there KC! You know as I got to thinking about this new semester and the classes I am taking, and it hit me I have never told you what public relations really is, so here we go!

As you may know it is similar to journalism but there are a few differences that set PR, as we in the business like to call it, and journalism apart. I think the best way to understand what a PR person does is to think of them as the go between for a group or firm and the public. When a firm, group or organization wants the media to cover an event or story they go to their PR person to get them involved. So they will write something called a press release that outlines the details of the story from the point of view of the company or firm.

In journalism the writing differs from PR because they have to take an unbiased point of view. Now that isn't to say that PR people are biased but their writing is focused on helping the general public understand a company or a product. When it comes to representing the company a PR person works for they have to know quite a bit about them. They have to able to answer the tough questions and if they can't they have to know who can.

All these things fascinate me about PR, and that's why I have chosen this route because I want to help people understand potentially complex situations. What really excites me about PR is that it opens up a lot of doors of opportunity like advertising and marketing. I hope this gives you a good glimpse into what I will be doing in the future.

1 comment:

Derek Barton said...

You did a real good job of explaining how PR works. I thought the way you described the role of a PR rep was well said. Its true that they have to know alot more in depth about how that company runs.